Monday, January 2, 2023

Pickled Daikon & Carrots 🇻🇳

  


Daikon radish is an amazing root vegetable widely used in Asian cuisine.  Shaped like a plump carrot, they are less peppery and juicier than red radishes and have an earthy taste which I like.  The Chinese use thick chunks of them in stews and soups.  They can be shredded and steamed with rice flour into a savoury cake.  The Japanese grate them raw into a paste to serve alongside grilled fish and tempura.  The Koreans make salads and kimchi out of them.  I have here an easy Vietnamese recipe for pickled daikon and carrots, delicious as a side or an accompaniment to stir fried and rice dishes.  There is often a jar of these little beauties in my fridge.  Crunchy with a delicate sweet and sour flavour, they brighten up your meal and I find them addictive!  If you are interested to know more about daikon and how to use them in cooking, click here .


INGREDIENTS
  • 250g / 9oz daikon
  • 200g / 7oz carrots
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • ½ cup water
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 tablespoons white vinegar

METHOD
  1. Wash a large heat-proof glass jar and lid with hot soapy water.  Rinse well with hot water.  Sterilise by placing it onto a baking tray, then into a preheated 120°C/250°F oven for 20 minutes, or until it is dry and ready to be used.
  2. Peel daikon and carrots.  Cut them with a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer (watch your fingers) into small matchsticks.
  3. Transfer the vegetables into a large colander.  Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.  Set aside for 15 minutes.
  4. Rinse them thoroughly under the cold tap to remove the salt, then gently squeeze out the water from the vegetables with your hands. 
  5. With a pair of tongs, transfer the vegetables into a clean mason jar, filling almost to the top.
  6. In a small saucepan, bring ½ cup of water to a boil.  Add sugar and stir with a spoon until dissolved.  Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.  Let the liquid cool before pouring it into the prepared jar over the vegetables.  There should be enough liquid to fully submerge the vegetables.  Add more warm water if needed.  Seal the jar with lid.   Label and date.
  7. Leave the jar of pickles at room temperature for 3 to 12 hours to let it ferment before storing it in the fridge.  They should keep for up to 3 weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Love this recipe! It’s fantastic in banh mi as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m embarrassed to admit… I’m a bit apprehensive of daikon! I reckon I’ll try this but adjust the carrot/radish ratio to accomodate my unadventurous palate.
    Next time I see you, I’ll try to remember to ask about where I should get my daikon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get daikon from most supermarkets, but I think those from Asian shops are nicer and fresher. Will talk when I see you next.

      Delete